Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Just when I felt bad about being too harsh in my critique of Thor...

...We have this happen the very first time we tried to actually eat at our dinette table...

Really Thor? Really? 16 screws and not a single one into the framing. Might as well be mounted to cardboard. It looks like the guy just kept ramming screws into it hoping to find something solid, and never did. Oh well, hurry up and send it down the line quick!

I felt a little bad about making a wrong assumption in another thread, and jumping on Thor's assembly practices when in that ONE situation it wasn't warranted.

But I don't feel bad anymore. The assembly quality IS abhorrent. My wife said this morning "This is the most poorly built product I have ever encountered in my entire life. And that includes products from China." I totally agree. I would have been extremely unhappy if our entire spaghetti dinner slid onto my brand new $1200 carpeting. As it was, we had to carefully take everything off the table and put it down for the rest of the trip. My wife is now scared about the TV and cabinets and their mountings. I'll be taking those off (the TV's at least) to check to see if they're not actually going to fall on us either.

Speaking of the TV's, the TV over the dinette in the 27.7 isn't exactly user friendly. My wife and I hit our heads on the corners of it no less than 4 times! It sticks out way too far, there's no way 4 people could eat at that dinette without the corner of the TV being in two of the people's faces. It also covers way too much of the windows. Ideally I'm thinking I'd rather have one big picture window there and no TV. We'll see, I'm still tossing around what to do there. We know one thing, that TV can't stay there in that position.

BTW for those of you that are posting that you've had very few problems with your RV's, I think this is something that's getting way worse recently. Ours was built in December of last year. They've really ramped up production a little before and since then. Clearly, our coach was assembled WAY TOO QUICKLY.

A Thor representative reached out to me because of that other thread and wanted me to share my pictures of stuff like this with him. I'm still not sure I want to bother. Thor knows what quality level their assembly is at, they don't need me to tell them. I truly believe this is their business model right now. I think the only way it's going to change is either people stop buying them (not likely), they get hit with a hefty class action suit (also not likely) or somebody does a documentary on their shoddy and dangerous workmanship that gets plenty of airtime (what I think would be the best approach).

I'll throw a question in here for you guys... (Answer using the poll above.)

What exactly should I do with the hundreds of photos I have documenting poor assembly just like the ones of the table mounting above?

Choice #1- Should I just move on and not worry about Thor and how they're building these RV's for the next people that buy them?

Choice #2- Should I spend a bunch of time providing Thor with photos and explanations of what I found on our coach in the assumption that they'd actually do something about it?

Choice #3- Do I ask them for monetary compensation for the 4 months worth of work I've had to do to our coach to make sure it wasn't going to burst into flames, kill us or at the very least leave us stranded somewhere?

Choice #4- Or do I contact somebody at Netflix or elsewhere and work with them to make a documentary on the subject, including the economy of Elkhart Indiana specifically?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum