Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
Firedog91902

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #11959
Using emergency start to charge coach battery with engine

I have a 2003 Isata that doesn't charge the coach batteries while driving. That's just fine 98% of the time since the coach battery get charged from shore power. Occasionally, we won't have shore power for a two or more days in a row.

The RV has and emergency battery switch and solenoid that connects the coach and chassis batteries in parallel in the event the chassis battery is too low to start the engine. I noticed when the switch is down and the engine running the coach battery's voltage goes up to 13.05v indicating it's charging, The engine voltage regulator charges the chassis battery at 14.3. Since the wiring that connects the 2 batteries in parallel is pretty robust, I don't know where over a volt is lost.

The question is.... Occasionally, can I drive with the emergency parallel switch on to charge the coach batteries? I understand if the coach batteries are fully depleted a rather high current could result and won't let that situation happen. Any other issues or dangers I'm not seeing?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum