Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: AC temperature
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Tytlfamily

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I've never heard that limitation stated before, and in my experience doesn't make sense. Does it only apply to RVs?

How cold the inside temperature can be lowered relative to outside temperature depends on many factors, but mostly on cooling capacity relative to requirement.

In industry I've installed single-stage refrigeration (same as air conditioner) that kept product coolers at 30 to 35 F when outside temperature was around 100 degrees. Two-stage systems I've installed cooled freezers to -40 F with outside temperature in the same 100 F range.

Most RVs have an AC with a capacity of just over one ton of capacity. And that's not very much. I'm guessing that if you had two ACs in same RV there would be little problem making the inside temperature much cooler.

This blurp from the link below:

Air conditioning systems have their limits. Each unit is designed for a given temperature drop in degrees. A typical system is designed to cool up to 20 degrees. The temperature differential (also known as Delta T) between the condensor's intake air and the evaporator's output air will be 20 degrees and no more. So, if you have 100 degree air entering your system the output temperature will never be any lower than 80 degrees. As the intake air cools down the output air temperature will also be lowered so the cooling will improve the longer it runs. They key is to start it early enough before the temperatures get too extreme.

RV Air Conditioning Service
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.