Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
kylecm

State: Arkansas
THOR #11950
Would upgrading the AC be worth it?

Well. I am preparing for my next cross country trip. Last year, my only real issues was that it is harder than hell to keep Oliver (our 2014 Thor Siesta 24SA) cool.

I have a buddy that just built his own RV parking garage and insists that I order a new / different AC and we can pull it into his bay and replace mine. No issues with the work, just not sure what to get.

Has anyone upgraded their AC? I was thinking about a 15000 BTU Dometic Blizzard.

What happens right now?

Mine is a ducted system. I have three vents aft of the unit, one vent on the unit, and two vents forward of the unit.

If I close all of the vents and open only the two forward, I get minimal airflow, but some air flow. If I close all of forward plus the one on the unit, I get decent flow from the two above the bed. At night I can open the back two and the bed area is sleep-able. If I close all vent except the forward vents there is no way anyone could use the above cabin bunk. It probably stays hotter than outside.

However, during the day the RV will only stay about 10 degrees under outside temperature.

I have read that I should pull down all of the walls in the over head cabin and insulate. Apparently Thor does not believe in wasting money there for the comfort of the client.

Any thing else I should do? Would replacing the current AC help?

Any thoughts?

Chuck

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.