Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 02:52 AM   #6
bthode@gmail.com

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Oregon
THOR #1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
Brad, can you give some details on the Trackvision A-9 system? Cost ect. I've heard you shouldn't put a sat dish on the roof because when you're parking under trees it won't work. And doesn't want shade right? What's you thought.
I'm thinking about buying one. Can you travel in that without a tow car? Everyone tells me you need one, but i don't like the idea o f it. And if you're a veteran of motorhomes, how does this one compare to the rest of the pack. I'm a newbie who wants to just travel during the winter month in the south. Thanks. Dave
Dave-

I picked the TrackVision A-9 because of it's low profile (only 5"). They are pricy at around $4000. In addition to the roof-mounted dish, we installed an external dish connection that lets us put a dish in a clear space. I suggest you invest in a satellite sighting device to take the frustration out of dish pointing. (Check out Align-A-Sight)

We like to tow a car because:
- It's very easy to tow...you hardly know it's there.
- Simple trips from the campground don't require unhooking utilities, packing chairs/bbq...
- Traveling around places like Yellowstone are much easier in a smaller vehicle.
- The tow acts like a lifeboat in case the RV has problems.
- At 30 MPG in the tow compared to 10 mpg in the Vegas it's economical.

The down side to towing is:
- Limited models can be towed 4 wheels down. (Our Subaru had to be a manual trans.)
- Tow bar and baseplates can be expensive.
- I think an auxiliary brake system is a must and can be pricy.
- Hooking up in the rain can be a pain.

I've been RVing for over 20 years.. the Vegas is our 7th RV. We have wintered in AZ and CA for two years. I think the Vegas would work, but we also enjoyed the 36' Beaver we had.
Now our camping is usually limited to 2-3 week trips, so the smaller Vegas works for us. In terms of quality- the Vegas is comparable to others in it's price range. The next price/quality level gets you better materials/craftsmanship if you want to spend twice as much.

I think the Vegas is a great choice for those starting the camping experience as well as those looking to downsize.

Good Luck, Brad

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum