Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #19
Muggs

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I guess you can count me as not disappointed by my Thor unit. I cannot say that it exceeded expectations as it is our first RV of any type.

We bought a 2016 Thor Vegas 24.1 with under 2000 miles from local dealer. Unit was clean and looked completely unused by anybody. I did have an initial concern that maybe it was a lemon someone traded in. So far that is unfounded, we took possession just after Memorial Day 2016, Chassis date was 2015 with house date later. Is on e450 with 6 speed. Unit now has over 16,000 miles on it.

The only modifications to date are replacement of OEM steering damper with Roadmaster Reflex and addition of 750 watt inverter.

Problems so far have been all normal wear or stupidity:

Replaced water pump, started to get loud and pulsated. I carry a spare anyway. $65 is worth peace of mind on road.

Replaced converter power supply board after unit was plugged into mis wired 30 amp, fixed the wiring to receptacle too. $160 drop shipped to farm in NC we were staying at.

Replaced Trimark door latch with steel pin unit. After reading of this issue I left window unlocked in case needed. It broke while inside, 3 minutes to open assembly, 10 minutes to find pin and spring as it launched into grass. Drove home using deadbolt and bungie cord.

At Fort Wilderness, saw drip off drivers side spring shackle. Turned out drain basket nut loosened under shower. Pulled everything apart through hatch and added rubber coupling with hose clamps around assembly. Should never leak again and has not to date.

That is extent of issues. I decided there was no magic involved in systems and cancelled the extended warranty. The convertor issue would have cost me $100 at dealer but time is more valuable to me.

I change oil/filter myself in V-10, also grease all fittings. Do same with generator. Tanks have been zero issue as unit is active enough and never really sits without some type of use. Unit is always plugged in at either house. Unit makes great escape when too many inlaws around.

A lot has been said about handling/tire wear. After initial learning curve, either my wife or me are quite comfortable driving with or without 5500 lb racecar trailer. I have towed all the way to 80 MPH and unit handles fine (trailer tires are LT type and rated for 100 MPH). Tire wear is excellent (Michelinn LTX MS2) and very likely age out before wearing out. Initial owner must have have corrected any alignment issues as front tires are wearing fine.

We average between 9 and 11 MPG unless I am in a hurry to make a race.

It is remarkable how comfortable these mattresses are. Wife has back issues and I am fat at 235 and we both are quite comfortable. We have learned to use filler all the time because the 35 lb English Sheppard tends to fall off otherwise. Getting woke up by by crash and scramble of the 35lb female falling on the 75 lb old guy was pulse quickening. No fight, but what a racket.

I am sorry to hear so many people with issues, quality control seems to be hit or miss. I go through entire unit every 90 days looking at connections and such. Tightening basket nut under sinks looking for any potential issues.

I do know people personally with major issues with multiple brands. This makes me hesitate to go bigger but not so much as overall simplicity and ease of use we see with this unit. The only part of RV ownership I do not like is washing it, especially the roof.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum