Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #30
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
There are a couple factors here you all have to take into account...

First is when the RV was made. There was a significant surge in demand and production in the last year or so. That resulted in the manufacturers pushing assembly lines WAY too fast. They pay by how fast the guys work, how much time do you think they're gonna take when they're getting paid WAY MORE to produce faster. I've heard some of those production line guys are making $100k. That's pretty tempting money in Indiana to do shoddy work.

So as far as problems people are having, those that bought in the last year or two I firmly believe will have significantly more issues.

The other thing to consider is there are a lot of people that HAVE issues with their RV's and don't know it. At least half of the couple hundred issues (NOT exaggerating) I've found with my Vegas wouldn't have been apparent, at least not for awhile. Like the generator muffler and pipe being grounded out and not supported. The muffler was up against the frame of the RV. It was transmitting vibration and noise directly into the RV. So how loud is your generator? How loud is normal? How much vibration is normal? My point is that my RV had an issue with the generator. I bet half of the people on here wouldn't have realized it was an issue. I can tell you it sure as h#ll was though once I fixed it! Way quieter and way less vibration.

That's just one example. I'd bet money if I spent an hour in any one of your RV's that you say you haven't had any problems with, I'd find at least a few issues that can/will/are causing problems now or in the future. Like the loose wire nuts that have been posted lately. For those of you that say your Thor has been wonderful, are you absolutely sure all your wiring was assembled correctly? We saw a class A burning on the side of the highway last weekend. I wonder if they thought their coach was wonderful too?

Sorry to put the idea of impending doom in your minds, just realize that just because your particular experience has been wonderful, there might be things that Thor did in the assembly that are causing issues that you don't even know aren't normal. Or they just haven't reared their ugly heads yet. I've worked in the auto industry for about 4 decades. These RV's, ALL brands, are assembled at a lower build quality than even the worst of the American cars were in the '80's. If cars and trucks were assembled in the same manner, the public wouldn't stand for it for a minute.
ok, got it: so we're all driving around ticking time bombs LOL.

I have two statements to this:
#1: After 4 years we're still happy with the RV, but that doesn't mean:
#2: Yup we're still finding things messed up

The more miles we put on it the more it gets shaken up and the more odd construction things I find wrong (I didn't mention when talking about our last trip with the whole tire issues that we also had a trim piece fall off that I've been trying to figure out how to put back on..might lean towards the epoxy route, not sure yet, however).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum