Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #17
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvEd View Post

I hear you and thanks for the add. I see where you might have thought I could glean something from his post.

I read that post as tactical and post-mortem. I'm in the strategy/investigatory phase of this and he was way ahead of me. A/C is the only thing I DEFINTELY don't want running off the inverter instead of coming in after the breaker panel and only lighting up a few wall sockets. Water heater? Maybe, we'll see. If not, I'll isolate that too in the subpanel for the A/C.

I'm researching the feasibility of feeding inverter power to the breaker/fuse panel. I realize this shifts the burden of responsible power management onto my shoulders (and the cost of any bonehead mistakes) but it's something I want to try, save a sure fire way to burn down the coach. From original post: “…If it gets power on AC, it gets power from the inverter”.
Yeah I see where your coming from.

There are, at least, a couple of appliances that make no sense running off the inverter (not including air conditioning):
- The refer: It is far more efficient on propane
- Likewise the water heater is also far more efficient on propane
In both cases, when running on A/C they just use a resistive heating element which is hugely inefficient (just ask any EV driver in the northern states during winter how inefficient a resistive heating element is).

Sadly us clever humans haven't figured out a way to heat something better than fire (yeah the refer uses fire).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum