Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvEd View Post
Would you mind going into a little more detail on this if you can spare the time?

It sounds like you isolated circuits in the main panel to create a pseudo 'sub panel' (i.e. not a completely separate panel). Those circuits are for all your wall receptacles, microwave, fridge, TVs and ????. What doesn't run on inverter power other than A/C?

Is the 30A breaker the one that receives its feed from shore power and does the transfer switch in the inverter sense the shore power and shut down? What I'm wondering is how you controlled shore power back feed as to not damage the inverter?

Thanks.
yes, and I've attached several photos of the panel with cover and labels, and the exposed panel, which is how you can see the the right side of the panel, the 'sub panel' has a separate 'power bar' behind those breakers.

so, in effect, the LEFT side is the 50amp main breakers for the incoming power from the ATS(either Shore or Generator), with circuit breakers for:
20amp Front AC unit
20amp Rear AC unit
30amp Inverter/Charger(really, it's just to the CHARGER)
15amp Water heater(electric element)
and
15amp Engine block heater(taped off)

and the RIGHT side is the:
30amp (far right) incoming power from the INVERTER
15amp breakers to each branch circuit for all interior and exterior outlets,
including those for the fridge, microwave, bath GFCI, etc.

so, what's really happening is that you don't see a truly 'separate' Sub Panel for the Inverter, as you would expect, but the way this 'RV POWER CONTROL CENTER' panel is designed, it is 'split' into two power bars, that the breakers get their power from.
BUT
The far right 30amp Inverter breaker is actually INCOMING power FROM the inverter, running backwards thru the breaker and INTO the power bar, to each of the 15amp branch circuit breakers.

This seems a little unnatural, but it works just fine, and allows the factory to use a simple breaker box that takes up less space and creates a more simple wiring scheme.

The digest this, I'll bring it down to a simpler list:
A) power from the ATS(which is from Shore or Generator) comes into the main breaker panel, to the 50amp double-pole breaker, and split to it's two 120v power bars(I assume, since I can't see them)

B) the higher draw Appliance breakers draw their power from these power bars. Both AC units(40amps) are from one 'side' of the 50amp supply, and the Charger, and Water heater/block heater(60amps) are from the other 'side' of the incoming 50amp power.
C) the other 'side' of the panel box is really the 'sub panel'... with incoming power from the Inverter thru the 30amp breaker to the power bar, and to each branch 15amp circuit breaker.

It's looks like there are more amps here than the 100amp from the 50amp double-pole Main breaker, and you would be right, but that is actually fairly common for homes and RVs, since you don't use EVERYTHING at it's max at the same time, at least not normally.
Even the sub-panel, while only a 30amp 'main' breaker, has 60amps of branch circuits. Not a problem.

NOW - as to the question of 'back feed': since the Magnum Inverter has it's own 'Automatic Transfer Switch' integrated within it's control, it will automatically 'pass thru' 120v incoming power from the ATS(Shore or Generator)[via the left 30amp Charger breaker] to the right side 30amp INVERTER breaker, providing the power to all the Inverted circuits.

I also looked up this type of panel, a WFCO Power Control Center, I believe, but can't find it on their website, or any mention of it. I can only imagine that it is a 'custom' item requested by the factory, for this type of installation where a separate sub-panel is not warranted, and a Converter/Charger is not needed since it is already integrated into the stand-alone MAGNUM Inverter.
The FUSE panel is next to it, and also a separate panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	11437   Click image for larger version

Name:	exposed.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	11438  

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.