Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 12:53 AM   #1
tmikea

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
Thor RV "Undercoating" and poor underneath waterproofing

I've got a 2018 Thor Chateau 24FS (it's a 24' Class C with a Mercedes Benz Spriter 3500 Diesel chassis).

I'd like to request that we keep this thread focused just on the undercarriage and waterproofing of the undercarriage of Thor RV's.

I started looking under the auto-open stairs to figure out what needed lubricated (there is a lubricate every 30 days sticker on the stairs)...and in the process started looking around at the workmanship.

Here's my understanding of the walls on the RV portion of the unit: They are plywood with a fiberglass exterior finish and a wallpaper interior finish. The walls extend below the living area floor to hide the black water/gray water tanks and all the other stuff below the living area floor.

Well while looking at the slide out stairs, I found a lot of poor workmanship that include (1) visible interior wallpaper finish below the living area that was not undercoated, (2) many areas that should have been caulked that was not, and (3) unprotected plywood exposed to the elements.

To fix all of these problems, I believe I will have to spend untold hours of time (perhaps 100+), marine grade silicone caulk, and undercoating trying to seal up what was sloppily done at the factory.

After looking around underneath the RV , I'll be wincing when ever I drive the RV in the rain...until I have to time to properly undercoat, seal and also zip tie many dangling wires that are taped up....and the tape is coming undone.

Attached are some annotated pictures of what I saw in just two areas or the right side of the RV.

Do you have any recommendations as to what undercoating, caulking, etc, I.E. what materials I use to undercoat and waterproof my RV? Thanks for any help and advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6007.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	11440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6010.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	11441  

Name:	IMG_6013.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	11442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6018.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	11443  

Name:	IMG_6041.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	11444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6050.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	11445  

Name:	IMG_6059.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	11446  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum