Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #24
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Based on opinions expressed above on how generators end up getting used, plus my own too, I think a similar system to the E-Trek in lieu of a traditional generator would be something I would buy in a new RV if offered as a reasonably-priced option.
I do not disagree with this point in any way shape or form. Each individual must make their own decision based on what is important to them.

I started working on vehicles using 24 volt primary and auxiliary charging systems, as well as some having an on board 12 volt chassis system for in the 1960s. Our vehicles used battery banks ranging from 2 to 8 deep cycle 12 volt batteries (wired in series - parallel) which in the 1970s were costing over 600.00 each (and the price has not reduced much since due to low demand) . Although I will not discuss specifics if you can locate it, and it is doubtful you will, try to find info on the heat related failure rates of auxiliary high output alternators in automotive charging applications. You may find that due to the high levels of heat generated by the alternator the estimated life expectancy is somewhere around 6 months at light to mid level usage (2 - 3K miles per year). You may also find that in cold climates the cost heating and cool down cycles of electrical components and wiring is relatively high since these conditions tend to make wiring brittle. You may also find that batteries charged at these levels last about 18 months and have a tendency to boil over when charged at high levels of power. The batteries also have an associated weight factor and here again there is a trade off. The extra battery weight means something stays behind so will that be water, food or something else.

The technology has been around for over 50 years so ask yourself why hasn't it made its way into a wider spread of applications such as the RV industry.

Until someone would have to come up with some strong supporting evidence that the reliability has significantly improved I will shy away from the systems.

Again, each individual must make their own decision based on what is important to them.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum