Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
As usual it depends.... With surge brakes the application of the brakes is set by the weight of the dolly and vehicle pushing on the coach. How fast you are going, the weight of the vehicle, the amount and length of the grade are all entering arguments to how much you heat up the brakes. On the Colorado back roads, I usually come down the mountain in second gear at 20 to 30 mph. When I was new at this mountain RV driving, I would stop after about 5-6 miles and check the trailer brakes with my infrared temp thermometer. The temps were in the 300 to 500 degree range which I consider normal. Coming out of the Eisenhower tunnel heading East to Denver, I did stop once to check the brakes. They were 700 degrees so we just stayed at the pull-out for 15 minuter so let them cool. I was coming down the Interstate at 55 mph. I tow a 2800 lb pickup on a 450 lb dolly. On my Master Tow you can change the braking level but the factory setting is good for me.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum