Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
Long & Winding road

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
"To drill or not to drill"

So what is under this black coating on the bottom of my wood floor??

I was going to drill a hole in the bottom of the RV going up into the kitchen area. The entire floor (looking from the ground up) looks black and it that under the RV. I’m assuming is water resistant coating to protect the wood. I was near the battery box and about 4 inches from the inside wall and 6 inches from the outside of the metal battery box and one inches from one of the rotocast storage compartments under the RV. I noticed the drill was not biting the “Wood” floor so I stopped and looked up and the “wood” floor ad some shinny aluminum under the black coating.

What is going on here? Is it too close the edge of the RV that is some sort of aluminum bracket to hold on to the walls? Do I have an aluminum skin under the wood floor that is covered with a black stuff? Can I go inboard a few more inches to avoid it or just don’t worry about it and drill away as long as nothing is on the other side (Like wires or pluming)? Any thought or experience with this?

In the Picture below look at the brown spot (with a little silver showing though) where I test drilled right next to "one" on the upside down "14" written in white.

And Yeah I know the Thor bracket is NOT attached to the plastic "Roto cast" comparment. Its still seems very solid (dont budge when checked it) and I only put my plastic leveling blocks in it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.