Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #8
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mred View Post
Thanks again... is this torque curve you refer to?
Data in that graph doesn’t look correct to me. I tried to find curves directly from Mercedes but OEMs are starting to keep this type of info close to their vest.

You shouldn't directly compare engine performance at different speeds between engines of different displacement per cylinder. Physics being what they are, larger cylinders “normally” perform similarly at slower speeds, while smaller engines typically spin faster. In engineering school we compared engines more directly by measuring engine speed in piston speed. A larger engine with a stroke twice as long usually spins about twice as slow. I’ve had large diesels that redline at 1800 RPM. Very large engines may only go to a few 100 RPMs.

Just saying that you should take advice in right context. Your 3.0L V6 can spin to 4,000 RPM, while others can’t even come close to that. It also pays to know the difference between torque and power. They are often used interchangeably but shouldn’t be. And this is key in your question because you’re talking about different transmission gears and engine speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93BD4598-8E82-4C47-9DCA-1BB29FDC87A2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	11725  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum