Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
sduff

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #12345
Reduced heat (and noise) coming from doghouse and passenger floor of Chateau 31W

On my first trip to South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore the heat from the doghouse of my Thor Chateau 31W was horrible.

I wondered if there were any sound deadening or heat reflective material on the doghouse or under the floor.

I read about some ways to try to reduce the heat. The cheapest route appeared to be using Frost King duct insulation with aluminum reflective material. I used the non fiberglass kind and I got it from Lowes. It was about $20.00 for a roll.

I took off the doghouse and saw that there was some heat shielding. But other than some insulation on the front there was very little on the sides.

So, I put as much of the Frost King duct insulation on the sides underneath the Thor insulation. I liked doing this because it looks stock.

I also put a little of the insulation on the exterior of the doghouse behind my console and on the back of the the console itself in order to keep my drinks cool.

I addition. I put some of the duct insulation underneath the passenger compartment floor to reduce the heat (aluminum side down). It turns out they already had similar insulation to the duct insulation under the passenger floor, however, it did not have the aluminum heat shielding.

The results were amazing. On our trip up to Estes Park going up and down winding mountain passes the heat coming off the doghouse and from the passenger floor was greatly reduced.

Also, the engine noise, and I am not exaggerating, appears to have been reduced by as much as50%. My wife and I can now have conversations without yelling when the coach is accelerating or decelerating in the lower gears.

It only took about $20.00 worth of materials 90 minutes worth of work to trim and install everything! It was definitely worth it!

As soon as I can, I will post some pictures. Presently, my connection is too bad.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum