Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 03:18 AM   #16
sduff

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #12345
I had the same issue with my camera, I was able to fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
We had the same problem with our Windsport. One big highway bump and no signal, next bump it was back on. I checked for loose wires, none found. When I took the coach in for some minor warranty work recently the tech replaced the camera switch box, seems to work fine now.

Attachment 5208
We had the same issue with my new to me 2017 Thor Chateau 31W on our maiden trip to South Dakota earlier this month. While driving through extreme heat in Lusk, Wyoming it quit.

While adding insulation to my doghouse to reduce engine heat coming from it I had to move some wires hanging from the doghouse...the cameras started working again. I was just going to leave it alone, but I had no peace. I knew it would eventually mess it up again; so I decided to remove the doghouse and look at the radio again.

I eventually looked and saw that a flimsy wire that had been hanging from the dash when we bought the coach was actually a part of the RCA cord that connected the camera switch box to the camera portion of the radio!

I replaced the flimsy wire with a thicker RCA cord. I also used zip ties to properly tie up the excess wire and I routed it where it would not dangle. I also put some lithium grease on the male portions of the RCA connectors and taped them up. I also used a zip tie to tie up the switch box as well, it had simply been dangling too! This made putting the doghouse back on so much easier since I no longer had hanging wires and the camera switch box in the way. (I really can't believe that Thor did such a lousy job with the wiring!

Lastly, I suspected that the extreme heat caused or exacerbated a short in the flimsy RCA cord. I suspected that the radio wiring really wasn't designed to deal with so much engine heat. So, I put a piece of Reflectix type material from CW between the doghouse and the radio. That way a lot of the engine heat can't get to the radio.

It has been nearly two weeks, and the cameras are still working, praise God!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.