Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Engine overheat
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
petew

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChaps View Post
We are halfway through a x country trip in a 2015 30 ft class c Chateau from Poughkeepsie, NY to Los Angeles. Some of the highlight stops are Badlands, Yellowstone, Arches, Vegas, Sequoia, Sacramento, and now in LA.

We had a few minor issues from loose wires on the pressure switch on the water pump, the window handles popping off the big side windows, to blowing circuits on friends houses when trying to plug into shore power with an adapter to reduce the 30 amp down to a normal 20 amp outlet.

The thing that almost shut us down was when we were traveling from Sacramento to LA on I5 in the summer heat. We had been cruising along at 75 mph for a good couple hours after fueling up and just as we hit the hills after Grapevine near Fort Tejon the temp gauge on the dash started rushing past the normal spot. I immediately pulled over and shut down to try and minimize any damage. I checked under the hood expecting a broken hose or belt or at least leaking some kind of fluid, but there was nothing. The engine compartment was hot as hell but no damage could be seen. I let her cool down and started it up again and all was back to normal. I creeped over the rest of the mountain with the blinkers on in the truck lane at 20 mph staring at the temp gauge wait for any sign she was heating up again. No more issues and we made it to LA last night with no other signs of overheating.

Anyone else experience a temporary overheat situation with no visible issues? Any advice for troubleshooting?

Thanks!
Had a friend with an F250 and while traveling on the interstate it developed a problem where every 75 - 100 miles the temp gauge needle would literally take off and park (pin) itself in the to the far right in the hot zone.
First time it did this we pulled over ,got out inspected everything and satisfied there was no overheat issue we got back on the road.
A few miles later the gauge returned to normal.
It did this several more times at 75-100 mile intervals during the trip.
The problem was a gauge or sender issue . Never figured out which as he sold the truck .
Bottom line is that gauges can be wrong.
Other possibility is a sticking thermostat.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum