Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
In case reads forum .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I bet it wouldn't be too difficult to modify a 24.1: just raise the beds a little and make the doors larger. Granted you'd still have to get the bikes up that high as the frame wouldn't be lowered and there is a generator in the way but you could enlarge the pass-through enough to store them. The hardest thing would be matching the colors on the new doors installed.

Even if the beds went up a whole foot or two even (would have to install a staircase or use a step stool) you'd still have plenty of room above the beds.
For me the doors are the biggest issue by far. I could relocate the generator if I had to, and also drop the frame (which I don’t think would be that difficult). However, I expect rear compartment doors probably have aluminum framing around the perimeter of the opening, and making those larger would be too difficult because of the way the walls are laminated (bonded to wall framing). With existing doors bikes could be loaded on their side and then stood up, but it would be a pain if carrying a tandem plus a couple of single bikes.

If I had an older 24.1 (would be tough for me to cut and modify a new one), I’d definetely eliminate the drawers between the twin beds to make the rear compartment much larger and useable. Drawers are nice but come at too high a cost (space wise).

I’m still hoping Thor builds a touring Axis 24.1 option. It only takes a few simple and low-cost steps.

1) install 25.2 type jackknife couch (or dinette) without slide

2) relocate generator under couch/dinette as in other Axis models

3) drop frame rail extensions and install low-profile hitch receiver

4) raise beds one step (7 ~ 8 inches)

5) relocate drawers to side of bed in new vertical space

While these kinds of changes are inexpensive and easy to make on new motorhomes, they would be expensive and wasteful as a retrofit. To your point, I agree it can be done as a modification, but I’m not sure it’s practical or economical. Resale would suffer a lot in my opinion.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.