Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
jwcorry

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
We also opted for an "EHF" on our 2014 ACE 29.2 purchased used in 2016. The previous owner had done nothing with the suspension; however, I determined it definitely needed enhancing after our first rip from Knoxville to Cincinnati and back on I-75, as it was borderline unsafe (possibly the reason the previous owner was a "previous" owner).

First addition was a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, which did very little if anything to improve the suspension issues; however, I believe it is a definite safety issue if one were ever to have a front tire blow out, etc. In fact, I did once drop the right front tire off the pavement (a significant drop) and was able recover quickly with very little effort and nor damage.

I then added Roadmaster HD front and rear anti-sway bars ($2,155 including labor), which made a huge handling difference -- no more getting blown out of your lane by severe side wind gusts or passing semis. Took the MH from Knoxville to San Diego and back (4,400 miles) with no handling issues despite a major storm coming up from the Gulf Coast with severe winds on our right side.

There was still the issue with the horrible road conditions (especially I-40 through Arkansas) transmitting every surface defect through the F53 chassis. Therefore, I added SumoSprings on the front (if you go this route, be sure to get the two piece springs or you may have issues when deploying leveling jacks), and SuperSprings on the rear ($1,633 including labor). I opted for the SuperSprings rather than SumoSprings for the rear due to GVWR issues with the 16K chassis (a whole other issue).

A front end alignment by a heavy duty truck shop (after all additions and fully loaded) rounded out all the suspension/steering upgrades, which IMHO were required to get the best possible performance out of the F53 chassis as substantiated during our last 1,100 mile round trip to Marblehead. Having said that, it is still a truck chassis at the end of the day and although considerably tamed from the stock OEM set-up, will never be like and DP with air suspension nor a car.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.