Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Gps
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I was using Gogl maps until it wanted me to turn on a county road with a sign that said "Clearance, 10'3"! Our Vegas measures 11'3"

Fortunately, I saw the sign before I turned down that road and would have had to unhook the toad and turn everything around before the railroad underpass.

That night, I got online and ordered the Garmin. It doesn't always choose the roads that I want, as it prefers interstate highways. Still, it is great for peace of mind. I use a beanbag mount, so I can easily move it to the toad or take it out.
I've been able to avoid circumstances like that by not blindly following the nav's instructions (regardless of device). I always review a route before we start; preferably on a laptop and using streetview looking at intersections and suspicious spots. Especially if its a long route and/or we've never taken it.

Long ago we once had a Garmin GPS (long enough ago that the GPS didn't have enough storage to hold the entire US's maps in it) it routed us about 1/2 mile away from the freeway going in parallel with it because that freeway wasn't downloaded into it ! Been reviewing routes ever since .
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.