Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #31
GeorgiaHybrid

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
I have pulled ours for almost 2,000 miles now without any further issues including a round trip across the Smoky Mtn Parkway on I-40. If anything further would have happened, that section of curvy road should have popped something loose. It isn't a safety issue as such because it is easy to see when it happens. I do carry a few spares just in case (as well as bulbs, fuses, wire, brake fluid, brake pads, etc...) I don't know if they were over torqued from the factory or a bad batch of covers but it is a simple fix.

Porkchop, you are right about the 4 different types of bearings but the oil bath hubs were having an issue about leaking (I think it was a pressure build up issue due to no vent holes in the cap). I also don't like the thinner grease used with the easy lube hubs and it is also very easy to blow the seals on the inside of the hub and not notice it at the time causing brake issues. The never lube hubs will need a press to fix when they go bad and can't be inspected other than by "feel" as you spin the wheel.

That leaves good old greased bearings which can be inspected and cleaned, are easy to change even sitting on the side of the road with simple hand tools, use a nice thick bearing grease and can be found pretty much anywhere. They might be old school but then again, so am I.....

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum