Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
bharrisv65

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
My new toad is a 2018 Ford Fiesta. They ask that before towing 4 down you disconnect the negative batty terminal and when you reach your destination reconnect and start in the first 15 Min. Does anyone know why you need to disconnect? and what if you forget to do it like I did the on the first tow?
I tow a 2017 Focus hatchback. When I bought it SPECIFICALLY because you can flat tow it, I asked the dealer why the battery had to be disconnected, they couldn't or wouldn't give me a straight answer, although I agree the transmission being electronic would be the primary reason as well as draining the battery with the key "on". To give you an idea how "clueless" they might be and how even the mechanics can have wrong "opinions", the salesman told me the mechanic stated it would accumulate miles even with the battery disconnected...well, it DOESN'T AND I KNOW THAT FOR A FACT because I've towed it probably 10,000 miles now and it only has around 3,500 miles on it. As an aside, FORD says disconnect the negative cable (which is very hard to get to) but I've always unhooked the positive (which is very easy to get to) and haven't had one problem yet. Regarding starting it up within 15 minutes, I'm not sure but it could have something to do with cooling the transmission after stopping, but that's just my opinion/conjecture. A comment was made regarding overnighting and not starting the toad and I'd like to add I've stopped several times to eat, shop, etc. but not started the toad.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum