Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
bgpeters

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #12073
Storage and Heat

2018 Windsport 29M.

This is our 1st year with an RV. LOVING IT!! Enjoying tweaking on this thing too with tips I find here (CHF, SafeTPro, Reflextix, Fans, etc) and my list keeps getting longer .

Soon on my list are a few storage improvements. Specifically under the bed and the dinette seat storage. Getting into them is awkward as hell. Here's what I plan to do... any advise/warnings?

1) Dinette seat: Keeping the frame, but changing it to drawer access on a heavy duty full extension slide out into the isle. Can't wait to get started. That one is pretty simple.

2) The bed... Its a RV "King". Very happy with it, as a bed. Two things I don't like are 1) trying to get any anything under it, 2) the constant bleed of heat from the electrical rats nest under it - not bad once it gets cool, but its not helping on those hot days. I think I'm going to swap the set of thin panels the mattress sits on for a pair of 3/4" sheets of plywood hinged at the head (or make a metal frame instead - if it'd be lighter etc). Then find some hatch lift struts strong enough to help lift and hold it. The whole mattress would hinge up at the head for access below. I've seen some frames for sale to do this but for smaller mattresses.

For the under bed heat maker... I'm considering a 12v (muffin?) fan to the outside on a thermo switch. If I can find a 12v fan that's already switched - all the better. I see 3 open 12v fuse slots I could use for this, etc. Where to vent to - I don't have a good solution yet for that, but there's probably soem kind of good solution. Anyone done this?

I'm sure some or all these mods have been done before. Please throw your great advise & links to solutions, or warnings, this way.

Thank you!!

Barry

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.