Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 12:52 AM   #1
tinman01

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
Trouble with Magnum inverter

Hello, I have kind of an odd question so I thought I would throw it out there to get some ideas.

Here is my setup: 2015 Thor Challenger 37GT
4-100 watt solar panels with inline fuse on each panel and 40 amp breakers both before and after the controller.
Renogy MPPT Charge controller
6- Trojan T-105’s (Series and parallel for 12Volt total of 675 amp hours)
Magnum 3000 watt pure sine Hybrid inverter (powers the fridge, tv’s and bedroom plugs
Factory Converter is still installed
4-0 battery cable to inverter with a 400 amp catastrophic fuse to the inverter.

I did have a Aims 3000 Watt pure sine inverter that started making a noise and causing the refrigerator lights to flicker. It was replaced with the magnum inverter.

The catastrophic fuse has blown twice and when I installed another it held but the inverter light is flickering indicating a constant state of resetting. It is now not showing any errors at all but will just turn off at random times and restart without any error messages. I contacted Magnum and see to get a different answer each time. Now the shop where the work was done at does have another one on order and will swap it out.

My concern is could there be something after the inverter that is causing this? After the 2nd fuse blew I started at the breaker box and checked all the wiring going to the inverter and made sure it was in fact wired correctly. Then I disconnected all breakers in the sub panel fuse box and turned them on one at a time.
Although it is now not showing any alarms it will just randomly shut down and restart. There is a clock and my coffee pot that has the time that resets anytime the power goes out. So far it has always come back on but I can’t figure out what to test next.

I don’t want to put the new one in until I know for sure that it is not something external to the unit. I replaced the original inverter (a zantrek 1800 modified inverter that came with the unit) for the Aims 3000 watt pure sign just to increase the capacity to keep my microwave, coffee maker and bedroom plugs hot all the time. (I have since taken the microwave out of the equation). When this started having issues, I changed to the magnum Hybrid inverter.

Does anyone have any ideas on what and how to test the whole system before this new one gets put in?

Thanks in advance

Don

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.