Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #38
KohTangFred

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Iowa
THOR #12878
GFI SIMPLE EXPLANATION
A GFI outlet checks the amount of power going out the black wire (hot) and monitors to see the same amount comes back thru the white wire (neutral) If the amounts differ then it sees this as leaking power because they should match so it trips the GFI. The ground is not monitored but if something shorts out, it shorts to ground to prevent electrocution.
This is why a GFI neutral can't be combined with other neutrals from other circuits.
The ground don't matter in a GFI circuit other than the safety it provides. Thor could have just miswired my unit and that's not why the rest of the Aria 3901's keep blowing the GFI, but the problem I found was part of the loom and I bet there are more done like mine. They can change the GFI's, inverters, etc and the problem isn't going away the way it is wired.
Happy camping
Fred

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum