Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #14
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, like me, you'll probably not 'really' know until you take this cover off, and reveal exactly 'where' these feeds to/from the circuit breakers are going...

120v power from this panel to the inverter would make sense, IF the inverter does have an ATS..since then the outlets would be fed by the Inverter, when no gen or shore power, or from the gen or shore power when they are available. Maybe it should have been labeled 'inverter recepts' instead. If the inverter IS working, then they should have power reqardless, unless you trip this breaker. I wouldn't think, though, that the inverter 'cares' about incoming power from this breaker because the inverter's job is to use 12v power from the batteries for it's output, regardless.
Maybe the last 'unlabeled' breaker is the feed to the inverter, for 120v pass thru to the outlets.

I was a little confused on this with mine, as well, as I had TWO breakers labeled INVERTER. I only have one inverter, but I also knew that the inverter does not require power, it uses the batteries to INVERT power and feed it back to the panel..... SO, upon removing the cover and doing some inspections, I came to realize the truth.
The factories don't always make a good effort to put into 'english' what the label is really referring to.
One of my 'Inverter' labels, on a 30amp breaker, is to feed the CHARGER, which is, yes, a built-in part of the Inverter/Charger for Magnum type inverters, like my ME-2012. This is 120v power from the Gen or Shore power to the Charger, which charges the batteries. It is ALSO a feed 'thru' the charger, and the Inverter, when the inverter is then 'passing thru' gen or shore power.
The OTHER 'Inverter' labeled 30amp breaker, on the other end of the panel, is the feed FROM the inverter. This breaker is really operating 'backwards', as it is accepting this power feed from the bottom front of the breaker, where normally the output would be, and into it's own 'power bar' the breaker is attached to behind it. This then powers two tandem 15a/15a breakers that feed the various outlet circuits throughout the coach. All of my outlets are on the inverter feed.

So, after scratching my head, I realized that some of these WFCO or PROGRESSIVE or other brand Electrical Panels are customized for these factories. They have been designed to basically 'build in' a separate 'sub panel' feed for the Inverter - although it looks almost identical to any other Main Panel in any RV.
There are basically THREE power bars behind my 50amp panel... ONE is for the left 50amp supply of power, which is for several 15 or 20amp breakers, ONE for the right 50amp supply of power, which is for several other 15 or 20amp breakers, and ONE for the Inverter return feed. All three are separate, but you wouldn't know it looking at the panel itself.

Your coach and panel is designed for 30amp service, so you'll have a different layout... a little simpler. I think : )

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.