Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
tinman01

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
yes, agreed...though I have limited knowledge of how the 'hybrid' portion of the Magnum inverter processes both the power sources - 12v from solar and 12v from batteries - but I am inclined to think the same - an 'over power' issue, which to me might indicate an issue with the Magnum's combining of the batteries and solar incoming power - maybe too MUCH solar power.

I also suppose you are saying that this is happening when NOT plugged into shore power, as the inverter would simply be 'passing thru' 120v power in that case, and the solar would then only be allowed to charge the batteries(?)... or does the Hybrid feature the ability to allow incoming solar to 'offset' 120v external power?
Thanks for the advice, I changed all the battery cables to 4/0 and replaced the inverter. So far so good, no trouble so far, but I am leaving on a trip out west tomorrow morning (a nice little 7 month trip! ) so we shall see! I have been on battery power now for two days with no problems

The hybrid inverter allows you to control how many amps it will draw off shore power. In this case you set the amp draw to the wire size and breaker size. It is not really helpful in this situation because the whole coach is not run through the inverter. The Air and hot water heater are still only on shore or gen. I believe the Victron inverters allow you to control solar and shore as well, i.e. draw only 15 amps from shore and 10 from solar and take the rest from the batteries. However the way the Challenger is wired I couldn't do that.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Don

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.