Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #31
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
And the reason you think it is unsafe is............................?

....cut.....

Moving a front wheel 5 inches outboard adversely affects both stresses and handling, and those who don’t see it on their own aren’t going to understand a technical answer regardless; so why bother with details, calculations, etc. Sorry but it’s true. And we’re talking about marginal motorhomes with 5,000-pound-rated axles often loaded to over 90%, and with poor handling to start with. There’s not much room for making matters worse.

A better argument is that no truck company, whether Ford, GM, FCA, Freightliner, Volvo, etc., does this. Nor would they ever for obvious reasons. The evidence is there for anyone to see on our highways.

No matter what I’d answer, you’re not going to believe me anyway. You’ve made that clear. I suggest you do your own research on the Internet to see why OEMs have worked so hard to bring wheels inboard over the last 50 years or so, probably longer. I know for a fact that no truck (or car) has been designed and built that way by proffessionals during my lifetime.

By the way, do you guys realize that the amount of change he’s incorporated to front suspension is essentially the same as if we took a SRW van or truck and bolted a DRW wheel sticking out? Half the tire would be beyond the front fender.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum