Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #24
The Gritz Carlton

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I live by the theory of "One Is None, Two Is one" (some know the origin). Camping in the extreme winter requires multiple layers and backups of everything. You are placing yourself in an environment to die very quickly if something goes wrong or quits working and everything is linked. The upside...death by freezing is mostly painless. Power and water are your most critical elements...food is the 3rd. Plan on and prepare for the worse and hopefully you can get through most issues comfortably. As for me, if I were doing this trek, I would carry two portable generators with enough gas to run one of them 24/7 for at least a week and this wouldn't be that much gas. Carry at least two electric heaters...amp matched to your generators...and plenty of water stored inside. Food options are abundant but canned goods and fresh meat are heavy. As long as you can drink water, eat once a day and keep from freezing to death you can weather this out. Plan as you're not coming back and it will be a picnic. How far from civilization or emergency services will you be camping? What is your 2nd and 3rd backup communication devices? Do you have portable Ham radio? Is there cell service where you are? Do you have survival plan if a limb crashes through the roof...tarps, large blankets, etc? A roll of compressed "Pink Panther" insulation is great if you have room to stuff one in somewhere. At -20F...expect and prepare for the worse scenario. You are camping in a bean can.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum