Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #40
jabrabu

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I have a Chateau 31E class C, and here is my experience camping in very cold weather. It wasn't -20F, but it was close to zero.

The furnace went through a lot of propane. Had to refill every couple of days. If you have shore power, then some electric ceramic heaters are helpful to reduce propane use.

I was not winterized, figuring that if the coach was kept at a comfortable temperature for humans then the plumbing would not freeze, and I had no problems with the interior plumbing. The external drain line for the freshwater tank froze, so de-winterizing after the trip was a huge pain.

I have heated holding tanks inside a compartment, so they were fine. However, the drain piping downstream of the tanks froze so I was unable to dump the tanks. Putting some anti-freeze in the tanks might prevent this, but I'm not positive.

The RV got covered with road salt during the trip, and I couldn't wash it well until the weather warmed up, and this resulted in a lot of corrosion under the chassis, corroded compartment door locks, etc.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.