Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #44
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirnot View Post
It is the load rating, not the size that determines capacity. Other than looks you have only accomplished changing the engineered geometry of the front end and screwed up the speedometer.
Actually the max load rating does change with size changes on many tires. I posted the specs of the original and replacement tires. The stock 225/75/16 tires had a max load of 2,680. The ones I put on it, 235/85/16, have a max load of 3,042. Size did determine capacity. BTW, the front wheels I put on are also stronger than stock. They have a higher max load rating and also a higher max PSI rating.

The "engineering geometry" of the Ford twin I beam front end isn't that great and could use some "changing". lol. It's strong, but extremely poor as far as alignment and wheel movement angles. The industry has known all about it's shortcomings for about 6 decades.

My speedo and VSS input to the ECM is calibrated to within +/- .1 mph @ 70 mph. The stock speedo on most E350 and E450 RV's is usually 3-5 mph off. If your RV has a stock, uncalibrated speedo, I can guarantee you that mine is more accurate. I'll post a screenshot of the onboard computer in my Vegas. The speed values on the left side of the screen are from the ECM/VSS/Cluster. The value on the right side is off a GPS. They are dead on the same up to 80mph.

This ain't my first rodeo.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180922_152220_LI.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	13022  

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum