Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #16
m@tt

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #13002
I was also initially looking for ways to fuel up my internal propane tank and was looking at hoses, examing available connectors, figuring out how to fill it, balancing pressure out, elevating the other tank, and I realized that it was turning into an overcomplicated mess that may not have been reliable.

My conclusion, after much gnashing, was to have the dealer install a propane tee prior to my regulator. I can then utilize a quick connect hose running between portable or stationary tank and the tee for long-term stays without worrying about messing with my internal propane tank at all.

I will run the internal tank to empty and simply close the valve when I'm done with it. I then connect a 20 or 30 lbs portable tank (or larger if staying a while) to the tee and leverage that external source(s) until it is time to go or swap portable tanks or whatever. I'll fuel up the onboard tank prior to driving to my destination or just starting to leave from where I stayed in case I need to run the fridge to keep my leftovers cool. I'll probably have some ice packs with me in case I can't find a local propane filling station.

I went this route due to space constraints in my setup between valve and regulator causing the need to create a somewhat custom solution. I wanted it all done and tested properly the first time (if I mess up propane fittings there may not be a second chance to get it right ). I also selected this as the logical choice for me because it offers me more flexibility when it comes to both heating and power generation needs.

I am looking at external propane/dual fuel generators as a backup to onboard generation when I venture out on BLM land but most of my winter camping will involve having 30 amp power where I stay and using my onboard generator as a backup to that.

I hope that sharing some of my thought processes helped you out.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.