Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
EVMIII

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
RV makes me feel stupid

I've had this ACE for six months now and am still trying to figure things out. I go out last night to start prepping the RV for the trip to Talladega next week and find the inverter telling me my batteries were at 12.3 volts. I have been plugged in to 50 amp power for a couple weeks, AC turned on to make loading more comfy, Fridge chilling. First assumption, converter/charger must be bad. Check the batteries with meter and verified 12.3 volts. As I'm getting more and more frustrated, I start dragging out my shop battery charger to boost my 50% depleted batteries this morning. I'm not an idiot, I look at the use/store button and it is illuminated. I turn everything off, unplug the 50 amp and put the charger on the batteries. Battery tester/charger says batteries are good and verify 12.3 volts.

I only live about 5 minutes from my local CW so I'm waiting on them at 8 this morning to get the the service manager. I describe my issue to service manager and he says the converter is obviously working because it has to for the AC and fridge. He says are you sure your use/store button is on? Of course I'm sure, I'm not an idiot, the light is definitely on. He then boldly says well you know it illuminates when you plug it in, doesn't mean it's on. I confidently replied, but it must be on because the AC and fridge are running. He then gives me that look and says, that's not true. They will both work when plugged in, but if the switch is off it will bypass the converter charger. What you talking about Willis? Says they will take a look Monday, but requests I go home and unplug, turn the switch on and off, plug back in and verify use/store switch and operations. I skeptically agree and start making plans to drop of Monday for new converter. So you have probably already figured out how this story ends. Whose dumb idea was it to illuminate the switch when it wasn't on just because you are hooked to power. Plugged back in, flipped use/store switch, heard converter/charger come on and inverter is showing 13.2 volts. Ok, maybe I'm an idiot.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.