Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Cason61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
I run the Torque app on a tablet via BT to an OBD reader when I travel, and display fuel level as a percentage. Also have a Distance to Empty calculation as well as many other displays. The Fuel Level fluctuates depending on the tilt of the vehicle, and the time of the sampling.

Further to what Jamie pointed out earlier and what Elite was mentioning. Fluctuations are accounted for in calculations and they need to be so that a problem code is not put out. For those that are interested I have cut and pasted some excerpts for the Fuel Level Sensor from the, "Ford 2017 MY OBD System Operation" manual.

start of paste---->
P0461 or P2066 (Fuel Level Input Noisy): > 40% change between samples, > 100 occurrences, sampled every 0.100 seconds

The FLI signal is also checked to determine if it is stuck. "Fuel consumed" is continuously calculated based on PCM fuel pulse width summation as a percent of fuel tank capacity. (Fuel consumed and fuel gauge reading range are both stored in KAM and reset after a refueling event or DTC storage.) If there is an insufficient corresponding change in fuel tank level, a P0460 DTC is set. Different malfunction criteria are applied based on the
range in which the fuel level sensor is stuck.
In the range between 15% and 85%, a 30% difference between fuel consumed and fuel used is typical. The actual value is based on the fuel economy of the vehicle and fuel tank capacity.
In the range below 15%, a 40% difference between fuel consumed and fuel used is typical. The actual value is based on reserve fuel in the fuel tank and the fuel economy of the vehicle.
In the range above 85%, a 60% difference between fuel consumed and fuel used is typical. The actual value is based on the overfill capacity of the fuel tank and the fuel economy of the vehicle. Note that some vehicles can be overfilled by over 6 gallons.
<---end of paste.
Oncet had a car in the 70s when I was young and the fuel gauge broke about two weeks before I was being transferred overseas. So I filled up the tank every 300 miles on the counter. Good plan except that pulling a U haul hurt the mpg and one time I coasted into a gas station off the highway, out of gas. So I got rid of the uhaul and never found the time to fix the gauge till I sold it. And yes they knew about the gauge being broke, just watch the counter.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum