Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #10
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post

......cut.......

Our 2005 class B has a Ford V10 (which is probably similar to the V10 in the Vegas) and gives us 14-15 mpg on the highway at 65 mph, 13-14 mpg at 70 mph, but I do not know what to expect from either the Gemini diesel or the Vegas gas engines. I know this all depends upon a lot of variables - speed, road conditions, traffic, weather, wind and the like, but any information would be more than I have now. It would be a help to know what ranges to expect, and it might help me pick between the two as the cost of using the RV is something I need to consider.

Thanks for any help.
My 2 cents on fuel costs .....

One of the most important factors that affects costs is how much the motorhome is driven. Studies often estimate that the average motorhome is only driven around 5,000 miles per year, so differences in fuel costs aren’t usually that great as percent of total costs.

For example, at 5,000 miles per year, the difference between 8 and 10 MPG is only 125 gallons per year, or about $375 annually. The difference between 15 and 17 MPG is far less, or about 39 gallons a year. Compared to total ownership costs it’s not much to consider.

Even when comparing the extremes of a ~ 9 MPG Vegas to a ~ 16 MPG Gemini, fuel cost differences are still relatively small — in order of less than $1,000 per year.

Obviously, if we drive a lot these differences can add up quickly. I’m at 185,000 miles on my van camper, so if I had driven that much in a Vegas, it would have cost me about $25k more in fuel over the life of the vehicle. Fortunately, larger motorhomes often get driven less than van campers, so higher fuel costs won’t be quite as bad. A lot of trips we’ve taken in our van I know we wouldn’t have taken in a full-size motorhome.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum