Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
glassbird

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #12622
help a newbie with heater bypass? (with pics)

OK, my first question on this forum although I have been lurking for a few months...

I bought a 1988 Thor Citation 20 foot trailer about 3 months ago. The previous owners neglected it badly, and I am gradually repairing and replacing things. I am currently at the point where I am going to replace the water pump (the original leaks like a sieve), add a "pump converter winterizing kit", and install a heater bypass set-up to avoid filling the heater with anti-freeze. Once that is done, I will be winterizing it and continuing repairs in the Spring.

I am ready to do the first two projects, and am a pretty confident DIY-er...but the heater bypass has me stumped. I understand the concept...direct the antifreeze past the heater...but I look at my pipe arrangement and simply can't seem to wrap my head around what part goes where. Nothing seems to match up with all the diagrams and YouTube videos I have looked at.

Before I start cutting things...is it really all that horrible to just fill the heater with anti-freeze? Yes, I know it will cost more money, but I would prefer that to rolling around on that cold floor with my arms jammed in the cabinet. Its not an easy location, and worse coming at it from the outside.

Below (hopefully) are pictures of the pipes. One pic is labeled, and the other is the same area from a different angle which might help more experienced eyes confirm what I think I am seeing. Can someone tell me where I should cut, and what part of a bypass kit goes where, in this lay out?

Please excuse the cobwebs...haven't cleaned this area yet. I hope these pictures come thru...

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181021_002600 labeled and smaller.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	13588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181021_002604 smaller.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	13589  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum