Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
bigben

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
A couple of thoughts.

1. Before I start a trip, I always ALWAYS check prices on gas with GasBuddy.com. Then last thing I do in the morning after checking everything else is check my DTE and gas stops. I entry the those into the our itinerary on our GPS as a via. Saves me hundreds - no exaggeration. Also, we use a CC that gives up 5% back on all gas purchases - no limit like Sams cap.

2. Like Larry, I also disengage cruise. My routine in the driver's seat is get up too speed. Set cruise at 68. Watch the road for hills, watch the mph to stay above 62, tap the resume button to pause cruise when getting near 62 mph, climb the hill, hit resume. As we go to slow down, turn back on the tow/haul.

3. Recommend you find what I call the sweet spot for your coach and cruise. Mine is definitely 68 mph. The coach doesn't slam into 3rd much on my hills and is much quieter/polite.

4. We watch the wind gusts and agree - it ain't fun anymore past 15 mph gusts.

5. I (my DW doesn't ever drive) rarely drive more than 6 hours in a day. We are fully retired and I hate feel beat up after 7 or more hours of driving. Still equals about 350 - 400 miles/day though.

This is from our 8500 coast to coast roundtrip with grand kids.

Happy RVing!!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum