Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
DaveinCA

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Serrano 31V
State: California
THOR #10535
Solar Panels on roof of Serrano

I am installing 4 Renogy 100 Watts Monocrystalline Solar Panels, Renogy Adjustable Solar Panel Tilt Mount Brackets to a SolarEpic 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller with MT50 Remote Meter. I followed the cable TV wires thru the roof down to the controller, then 8GA wires to the batteries. No problem. My trouble is when mounting the panel brackets to the roof, the screws went into air. I tried using a drywall stud finder, but that did not help. I can see the roof has waves from what looks like joists going across. I have aimed my screws to those joists, but it still seems like I am going thru air. I sure would hate to have those panels rip off going down the highways. So far, I have only installed 2 of the panels using 20 screws each. It is holding solid, but I sure would feel better with 4 solid screws per panel than 20 air screws. I am considering gluing an aluminum diamond plate under the panels and over the mounting brackets to add some strength to the installation. Any suggestions? Thanks.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.