Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 AM   #12
Jevad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 30D
State: New Jersey
THOR #13701
RVEd I am curious on your choices and results, as I find myself thinking about the same series of upgrades over time (Inverter, bigger battery storage, Solar...etc). Here is my thought process.

I just purchased a used 2018 Thor FW 30D which doesn't have a factory inverter. I'd like to run the TV's and some 110 stuff without having to kick on the generator, so I would probably first like to drop in an Inverter. Now Pure Sine wave generators have really come down in price, so perhaps I can spend just $100-200 more for a bigger 3000W-4000W inverter. I currently think I wont likely use that much power regularly... but if I'm doing this work... why not drop in the bigger and not have to worry about how much I'm pulling at any one time?

Of Course, I will probably need to rewire Battery <-> Inverter for the current that will pull to feed that potential AC Draw... not a big deal, I can probably locate the Inverter near the battery bank for short DC Heavy Gage wire and run a longer AC feed to the Breaker panel (AC requires lower gage for more current).

Im sure the next step, I will look to upgrade my battery bank (currently 2 Lead acid ??AH), maybe not right now and I would have to see how rapidly the batteries drain with the new Inverter and normal use. (Also I'm not sure how the previous owners cared or cautioned from overdraining the batteries - so damage is not known). When that time comes I would probably prefer to splurge and drop in 2 lithiums instead (for all the benefits they carry). If I do that I probably have to change the Converter since my factory one probably doesn't match the charge staging for the Lithium vs Lead Acid profiles (?). Maybe the new Inverter, if I choose carefully can support the charge profile for the lithiums(?). I wonder does my chassis alternator charging have to change anything for lithium?

If the Lithium and Inverter combinations work out great, I can see myself being able to do MORE Boondocking, which would lead to my next big upgrade.. a solar package!!! My Coach is "Solar Ready" with a connection port on the roof, but not sure how this would tie into my planned upgrades and mods.

My goal is to do this over time, as we decide the right pieces and the right components, of course trying to not spend a mint... but spending wisely for good components that would be used throughout the journey (Not wanting to discard anything). This is along winded way of wondering your decisions and how you made out?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.