Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #60
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Replacing a 15k with a 13.5 is an expensive option to save 1.7 amps. Better off leaving the 15 k alone and just purchase the smaller unit for the bedroom. Basically your option 3 is what I do, I just installed an additional 30amp receptacle right above the original, I have the option of using the 30 amp or use a reducer and run off the 20 amp circuit on the power post.
No doubt one would be willing to pay $800 for a new unit to replace the 15k that may otherwise be just fine. However if you buy the Power Saver 48208c969 Mach 3 Power Saver, 13.5K BTU/h A/C, Black it drops to 10 amps which is very efficient compared to 15k. Main advantage here is that you would not have to worry about anything with the 30amp or 4KW generator as you can run your whole coach off generator. Beyond the money, you lose 30k BTU to downgrade to 24.5k BTU. But is option and would be my preference money notwithstanding.

As far what you are doing today, I like and it is close to what I would try but with one subtle change if I followed your post fully. Maybe I should ask the question before assuming? In your current config, can you shut down all of the other main amps sources and run both AC's off Generator; and optionally run the rear AC off the generator without running the front AC?

If so; that is what I seek because I don't think I would need both much; but if I needed, I could; or if front AC unit went out, I could still run the back unit off generator when not connected to shore.

I was thinking of have the 2nd unit's 110 plug in a place in where I could plug it into the incoming shore power for 20 amps service, or plug it into existing or newly created 110 receptacle that connects to main coach source of 30 amp power. Because of the unplugging required; no chance of backflow electrical energy.

Thoughts... because I have never encountered this issue with my tents
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.