Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #13
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepetroski View Post
I noticed this ACE today at a truck stop. How are they mounting the spare tire and where do you buy this kit?Attachment 14174Attachment 14175

I attached 2 photos as examples
It’s possible the tire carrier was a do-it-yourself project. Hanging tires off back wall is/was common with 16” tires that weigh about 75 pounds, but I have only seen a few 19.5 tires mounted that way.

The side view looks to me like a fairly large plate was used to distribute the tire’s weight on wall — maybe as large as 18~20 inches in size vertically. If width is about the same, it could span two wall studs, making it fairly strong.

My old “C” had 16” tire mounted off back wall, but used a much smaller hat channel which is what I’ve seen used most often on back walls of C motorhomes. And as gnach suggested, it had a backing plate on inside. For a heavier 19.5” tire I’d want something stronger, which is what makes me think this may have been a custom built carrier.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.