Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #24
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW1 View Post
I never seen anything like this. Looking carefully at the pictures on the eTrailer site it certainly seems to be made with a bend. Sounds like the bend would be a weak point.
If the objective is to have the tow bar go straight from the RV to the TOAD why would you make a tow bar with a bend in it? That just doesn't make any sense to me.
They do emphasize that the hitch part that goes on the ball should be level with the ground. In your case that means adjusting the height of the ball with an adapter.
I just wish I could understand their thinking when the made the tow bar with a bend in it. Some smart engineering guy must have thought it was a good solution but I don't understand why.
I question this design myself but I went to school for computers, not engineering.

"In your case that means adjusting the height of the ball with an adapter."

Absolutely correct. I finally got my hands on a manual. From the manual (BX4330):

"It is important that the tow bar coupler be parallel to the ground. The height from the center of the ball to the centerline of the attachment tabs should be approximately 7”. If the tow bar coupler is at an angle, an accident or damage can occur. The use of a drop/rise receiver is recommended to ensure the coupler stays parallel to the ground".

Go figure. I replaced what you see with a 6.25" rise receiver. The coupler is level and there's the 7" difference as cited.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	14422  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.