Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #37
Long & Winding road

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I don't plan to boondock for a long time. We usually camp with electrical hookups, and if not it's usually just for a night. We'd just like to be able to watch TV during those nights without hookups, or while driving, and be able to power a coffee maker and laptops.

We did camp at Yellowstone for 4-5 days without hookups and managed okay, so it's not a big deal, just a "nice to have" for us. Ideally, I'd have more batteries and solar, but I wanted to start with an inverter.

I don't have the inverter yet, just doing research now. I was thinking around 1800W. I heard that this could power a microwave if desired.

I currently have two 12v batteries. Not enough for long boondocking without running the generator, but should be enough to watch a movie and then make a pot of coffee in the morning.
Ok, great.

I also look at the cost/rewards part of the install. The Aims 1200 watt inverter with extra remote is around $200. Some of the larger inverters can run big money and if you really dont need it why send the money.

Not sure what the draw is on your coffee maker - 1200 watts might be enough?

Plus they say its more efficient to run an inverter at like half or 3/4 of its power rating? Or something like that. (So like use 800 watts out of my 1200 watt inverter is better than using only 200 on 1200). If you figure up your usage on average and go to the next size up inverter?

Where do you want to install your inverter?.... Take the dimentions and add about 5 or 6 inches all the way around and on top of it to see if it will fit. You might find out you dont have room for the 1800 watt.

I would upgrade your batteries ASAP as well. The more the better.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.