Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Thor Batteries
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
... On my Palazzo, it had a Magnum inverter and converter. The magnum product had the equalize function...
actually, on the Palazzo and other larger coaches with the Magnum ME2012 or similar Inverter, it has a built in Charger, and no converter, since the Inverter/Charger performs the same functions. The 'Equalizing' charge function is a part of the Charger so that the House batteries can perform a controlled 'overcharging' to help sulfate the batteries and bring all 'cells' to a more equal state of charge, and specific gravity reading, since a single 'bad' cell can cause issues with the whole lot.

I recently had this issue arise, as my Magnum Inverter would start to just 'shut OFF' for no apparent reason. What I found out is that the issue was really due to a sudden large load, usually associated with a motor or compressor, such as the Fridge compressor, Microwave, or even a vacuum was turned on. While smaller loads such as TVs and satellite receivers and device chargers was handled fine, once the fridge came on, the Inverter immediately shut off.

After some digging, and finding out about all the devices in the Inverter bay, and their use within the 12v system, it came down to simply checking the specific gravity reading in the House batteries - finding that the one in the rear had two cells that were very low.
Because of this, and even though all the other three House batteries were very fine, any larger load would suddenly cause the whole battery bank to suddenly 'struggle' to handle the 12v flow to the Inverter, tricking the Inverter to think that it had lost 12v power, if even for a quick moment, causing it to turn OFF. The sudden flicker of the 12v lights in the coach was a sign.

After I removed the battery in question, drained it's electrolytes(battery acid), refilled with new acid, and ran through several full charges, the battery is back up to par. I reinstalled it, and the Inverter now continues to work fine, just as it should, even when adding the Fridge's compressor, a vacuum, and the Microwave, even if all at the same time. Nice.

Batteries are not necessarily the problem that we sometimes make them out to be, whether brand names or not. A flooded acid battery has many years of fine service, and the name on the top is not an indicator of whether it is up to the task or not, it is simply the manufacturer that the factory choose to use to install in their coaches. I also don't think that just because a dealer 'may' have allowed a battery(s) to discharge on their lot is a guarantee that the battery is now 'bad'... batteries can have a second life if you give them a chance.

Our 'stock' batteries are going on 5 years now...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum