Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 09:02 PM   #17
Jonniecrow@gmail.com

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #13996
Smile 2015 ACE Passenger's side window leak

I just saw this post on ACE Driver's side window leak. My 2015 had a similar water leak making the carpet wet on the floor in the front passenger side corner where the firewall meets the side wall inside the cabin. It leaked every time we drove in the rain. I took it in to Camping World (CW) under warranty. It was diagnosed as a window leak. In and out of CW many time during the first year for water leak and other issues. Some missing parts like a ladder for the front bunk, plywood cover under the couch bed, fresh water tank not secured in place, awning lighting not working, awning electric motor bad, water pump failure, outside TV inop just to name a few. The water leak problem was the biggest concern.
During the last month of my warranty period I called Thor got permission to call in an independent mobile RV repair tech. The Tech spent about 30 minutes on inspection and troubleshooting the water leak. After calling and coordinating with Thor for permission to make warranty repairs he found the following: The water leak was from an improperly sealed side view mirror. The mirror didn't have a gasket to seal it between the mirror base and side wall. When we drove in the rain the wind sail load on the mirror flexed it against the side wall letting water seep behind the mirror mounting arm. When the mirror was removed I saw that no type of gasket was present. The water would pool and run into the hole used for the wire connection and down the wall to wet the carpet. Fairly easy fix. Gasket sealer was applied to both mirror bases and wiring holes. That was three years ago and no problem with leaking. The tech found these other problems. The upper clearance light gaskets were improperly seated and water seeping into the covers and leaking into the roof through the electrical wire hole the lens covers were full of condensation. He resealed all the clearance lights. Next he removed the rear tail light/turn signal covers and found water in the cut outs where they mount on the rear cap. It was soaking wet under the cover. The light bulb holder was rusted so bad I had to replace it. After I let the inside cutout area dry several days I painted the raw wood with a good marine paint and resealed the lens covers on both sides. The Tech also found the stock screws were not stainless and were badly rusted. I have since resealed all outside light len seals and replaced the stock screws with stainless screws.
One failure after the warranty period was the outdated dash radio. The touch screen failed and there was no way to operate it. I replaced it with a Boss radio with navigation and camera input. Using a three way switch I can use all three outside cameras. I really only use the one for backing and don't need a camera to show me what I can see in the side view mirrors. The poorly located radio screen makes it impossible to safely view the screen any way. Bottom line all repairs are done. I drove the ALCAN last summer, a 15,000 mile 55 day round trip with zero problems. Only other change I've made is installation of a Safe-Steer and upgraded the stock tires to Toyo 245/70 R 19.5s for a much improved ride. More side wall ply and better tread design for a much quieter ride. We can talk without shouting going 70 on the freeway. I really do like my much improved ACE 27.1 even with all the minor repairs. I am a Retired Army CW4 Warrant Officer and loving the RV life style.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.