Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I like to see the option of a Front Engine Diesel from FORD. Not that I want or need one peronally but it would be nice option on the F53 current (or future) chassis.

.....cut......
That demand has always been there, but I expect it’s too small in numbers to justify the added cost to manufacture and then support. Motorhome sales are in reality not that large a market for Ford compared to their totals.

The biggest problems at present are that gas is down to ~ $2/gallon, and that motorhomes on average are only driven about 5,000 miles per year. Economics are very different than operating a diesel commercial truck over 100,000 miles per year.

Also, front engine diesel Class As (FRED) in the past have been loud and transmit a lot of vibration. Maybe Ford diesel V8 is quieter than Cummins in-line 6, but FREDs don’t reduce noise like the firewall of a SuperC. I looked at buying a front engine Cummins and it was way too loud. It was a nice coach, but did very poorly in marketplace as has been the case with most front engine diesel Class As.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.