Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 01:41 AM   #5
Mr Sunshine

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Your search of posts on this forum will thoroughly cover the pros and cons and how to's of spare tires, just like gmc said.

We carried road service on our previous coach when the tires were nearing their life expectancy. Had a left front blowout and a few months later a rear inside blowout. Both times the road service arrived with a matching new tire and we were back on the road in 4 hours. Shortly after the second blowout, I replaced the other 4 and the cost per tire was the same that we paid to the road service guys. The same cost per tire was quoted before we left home.

Your decision to carry a tire or tire and wheel, jacks, blocks and tools, road service or none of that will depend on where and how you travel, among other factors. For the last few years, I've been comfortable without any of that. I did carry a spare tire for the Miata we towed for years. While the Goodyear motor home tires were easy to match on the road, that little car had an odd sized tire that few dealers would carry in stock.

My future travel destinations might prompt me to buy road service, but I won't be packing a jack, tire tools or a spare. It's all about risk vs cost, and your skill and comfort level. Opinions on that vary widely.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.