Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
first, I would not guess that your fridge has anything to do with this...though it is the 'thing' that the symptom points to when the Inverter shuts down and resets. The fridge uses a compressor, and therefore has a fairly large 'draw' of power when it first comes on, several times per hour.

While most any Inverter is designed with a built-in LBCO(Low Battery Cut Out) to save the battery bank from undue usage by the Inverter's 120v needs, some also will have an LBCO that can also be set by the owner, though it is not designed to 'immediately' cut off the Inverter, but is usually designed with a 30second to 2minute period where that low voltage reading must be continuously below the trigger point before that happens.

I would suggest that you may have a battery issue, similar to the one I experienced last month: one of my 4 6v House batteries had several LOW cells(specific gravity reading). My inverter would suddenly cut off for no reason, while simply watching TV with the sat receiver, but not much of anything else. Strange.
I eventually realized that when the Fridge's compressor kicked on, the sudden draw thru the Inverter for the additional 12v amperage to maintain the Inverter's 120v output was not supported by the House batteries due to the low cells in one battery. The Inverter is designed to only operate with '12v' power, and when the load was applied and the suspect battery cells could not muster the full output needed, the Inverter would think that the 12v power was lost, if even for a fraction of a second, and shut down, as it's programmed to - just as it does when I turn the Use/Store switch off.

What was aggravating for me, was that my Magnum inverter does not automatically come back ON when the power is restored, the USE/STORE switch is ON, or when the battery bank is 'back up' to 12v output. So I would have to get up and turn the Inverter back on from the panel.
One of the things that helped me eventually find the problem was the 'flickering' of the 12v lights when I turned the Inverter back ON. Strange...and it had never happened before, though I realize now that I remember the fridge's light would also flicker whenever we were on the inverter only, for several months before this...

as for the Battery - I drained it, refilled it with distilled water and ran it thru several cycles of full charging, drained it again, and refilled it with battery acid and more distilled water, before finally recharging it several overnights. It's now back to it's old self and the Inverter is no longer shutting off, no matter the fridge, the microwave, or the vacuum.

: ) You could be experiencing an issue with a bad battery, new or not... but, no, you don't need 'more' batteries to solve this issue, you probably have enough already : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.