Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #25
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhappel View Post
Once again thanks... I am really delighted. Heck buying the right motorhome, in this case, has meant finding the right community...

So gmtech…. Why wouldn't you recommend doing your out of the box. It's clear that the fender is simply shortened and screwed over the enlarged cut out. The wheelbase increase should be a huge advantage in handling. Maybe some mud flaps to limit collateral road damage. I agree with your wife, it also looks great.

The extra $15K we saved on the purchase will get al the upgrades and then some. I don't know anything about tire choices but if you don't like them then I would tend not to a'priori (oops twenty five cent word, lol) trust the advice. Meaning I like the improved clearance. Do you notice the wheelbase change. I would guess you do.
So you're telling me you'd be ok with taking a sawzall to your new motorhome? I thought I was the only one on the planet that retarded! Certainly if that level of modification doesn't worry you, then by all means go for it! The wheel/tire swap (IMHO) had no adverse effects, only amazing, noticeable improvements. It is a little scary though and I will NOT be responsible if your front wheels fall off or explode the front bearings! So far we have about 7k miles on the wheel/tire swap with no problems. And yes, the additional ground clearance with the taller tires and the rear stabilizer jack taken off has already proven itself helpful in a dozen situations so far.

edit-

If you like the idea of the taller tires, you don't have to do the zero offset front wheels like I did, simply put the same tires I bought on your stock wheels. They "should" fit ok on the front end without doing any cutting or modding. Worst case would be you'd have to move the inner plastic wheel well pieces up, they're just sheets of plastic. And you should be able to sell the brand new take-off tires for a few hundred too.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum