Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #40
ComputerChips

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW1 View Post
That's a really good question. Thor obviously wants us to level first, then put the slides out. Newmar on the other hand wants you to put the slides out first, then level. I'm not sure how other manufacturers want it done.

From what I have read, Newmar says that they build the coach so everything is level and square when it is sitting on the wheels (levelers up). They say that this means that the slides and the openings they sit in are manufactured perfectly aligned with the levelers up. If you put the levelers down first, you may distort the slide-out opening and then slide will not operate smoothly.

I can see the logic in that argument because the levelers raise the frame at four points and that could distort the alignment.

Apparently Thor doesn't agree with that logic because they won't let you extend the slides with the engine running and won't let you level the coach with the engine off. Obviously they prefer that you level first then extend the slides.

Somehow I think this topic hasn't been definitively decided. Would be interesting to see how some of the other manufacturers weigh in on the subject.
Of course the slide is built to be "level" on the motor home frame but we're not camping in the factory, we're parked somewhere on the ground that is probably not level, so that's why we need to get the motor home level before extending the slide.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.